Sunnyside is more Prepared every day! 🙂 At our meeting we exchanged lots of great ideas, and developed new plans.
- We had 14 attendees; five joined us for the first time. There were eight NETs, including two visiting from Buckman and Hosford-Abernathy who shared their experience and excellent suggestions.
- Outreach and volunteer opportunities! (NET training is NOT required. But for NETs, helping at these events counts toward your 12-hour annual service requirement.)
- Our Belmont Street Fair booth, Sep 10. Volunteers are needed 9:30am-8pm. Please read more and consider signing up for a short shift. We’ll be giving away free 2.5gal water containers to the public, so our booth will be especially popular this year. (Kudos for Kenton/Arbor Lodge NET for providing the containers.)
- Hawthorne Street Fair, Aug 28, coordinated by Richmond NET.
- Buckman Picnic, Aug 14, 5-8pm.
- Della is leading outreach to local businesses to gain their support and make the Sunnyside Prepared “brand” ubiquitous in our ‘hood. Want to help?
- We will never be finished preparing, so let’s prioritize projects that interest you and will keep you engaged. What would you like to do?
- We are collaborating with Mark Wells of the Office of Neighborhood Involvement, and also the SNA Crime Prevention Committee to integrate better with NET. It’s a no-brainer. On Sep 20 there will be a training session for Neighborhood Watch Block Organizers; info is on NextDoor.
- Jan discussed the hot topic of ATVs and SUVs (“alternatively trained volunteers” and “spontaneous untrained volunteers”). Both will be key components of our Operations Plan.
- Ann and Lee described their very successfuly block party which had an emergency preparedness theme, and featured a visit from the Firefighters of Station 09. We also had an excellent presentation about pee/poo buckets and composting toilets. Let us know if you’d like to replicate this kind of event on your block. Fifty+ people attended and appreciated the info.
- Ann offered to research nearby locations where PBEM might be able to hold NET Basic Training classes. With 30+ NET Applicants in Sunnyside (and 1,100+ citywide) we want to host a training locally to make it easier for people to attend. Give a shout if you’d like to help in any way.
- Bill from Hosford-Abernathy NET is a geologist and provides “neighborhood geology” presentations to small groups/potlucks to explain the conditions in our micro-neighborhoods. We’re following up with him. Contact us if you’re interested in hosting.
- Sunnyside Neighborhood Association update
- At its regular meeting Jul 14 the SNA board approved the balance of of our $1,209 budget request to support printing & outreach through Nov 2016.
- We appreciate the board’s continued support of our collective work to keep Sunnyside Prepared!
- Next meeting: Tue, Sep 20 2016, 6-6:30pm We are skipping August to devote time to the public outreach events. This brief Sep meeting will precede the Neighborhood Watch training session mentioned above. I’m planning to schedule a NET team exercise in October.
- Register your Fred Meyer Rewards account to leverage your purchases for the Sunnyside NET equipment fund. You still get all your own rewards, plus benefit the team! Just log into (or create) your account and search for organization # 88309 (Friends of Portland Fire & Rescue).
Many thanks to all of you who participate in any and every way to build community and help all of us prepare!