SNA Meeting Minutes for January


Board members in attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, , Tony Jordan, Josh Palmer, Heather Wilson, Paul Loney, Tim Brooks, Karen Hery, Reuben Deumling

Neighbors and Guests: Kate & Alex Wood, Tim Platt, Sarah Platt, Val Strickland, Jeff Cole, Gregg Everhart,


Reuben calls meeting to order 7:03

  1. Intro
  2. Approve Agenda, Circulate minutes
  3. As the SNA BABA rep, Karen Hery started to think where we would be able to make the most of neighborhood and business association collaborations

She notes that  business associations overlap with several neighborhood associations, and people often don’t know who they can turn to express complaints, share project ideas, discuss parking issues, inform folks of business mixers, meetings, etc.

Karen says she is happy to help share our success stories and spread the word of what we do, where people can go, who they can contact, etc. She also intends to submit a newsletter article on the subject.

  1. Jeff Cole & Greg Everhart announced they have formed a 3-person street tree team for the purposes of obtaining a grant to conduct a Sunnyside Neighborhood street tree survey.  If selected, they are looking to train people and will have a training program in March.

This survey will, in part, build on a previous street tree survey conducted around the perimeter of Sunnyside Environmental School in 2006. About 900 trees were inventoried. They will revisit them see what’s grown, what’s died, etc.


They mentioned they are working with Vinnie Miller from SES, and Gina mentioned the PTSA voted last night to support pursuit of the grant. But because the survey will take place in the summer, it is difficult to assess volunteer enthusiasm. But Vinnie can surely help with that.


Only trees will be surveyed, not horse rings, names on sidewalks, etc. The results will help determine where we need more street trees, which trees are in poor condition, where we are in danger of losing our canopies, etc. It also gives us data and documentation to pursue future grants.


  1. Passing the Torch of the Sunnyside Piazza Painting (33rd & Yamhill). Suzanne Tom is absent, but Reuben says there is no heir apparent. Gina suggested that we enlist neighbors to help donate toward paint and supplies. There will be a newsletter article about this.




  1. Movie Matinee Fundraiser with RNA Tim – Last year SNA had a joint venture with RNA. Tim gave background on Bagdad beginnings. You can do an event with the Bagdad once a year on their dime. Last year we had a movie at the theater. This year we will choose the movie and the date and time. Allen (of Richmond) feels it’s a better movie that kids can go to, also could set the price for movie. Also could take half price. Are we bound to Roan Inish? Last time we found out a mere 5 days before, couldn’t advertise and didn’t necessarily like the choice. Tim says that’s unreliable.

SNA pays licensing fee, but Bagdad pays everything else.

Heather says that movies that are more recent that drive what you would choose and not considered a classic.

Reuben: Also have some questions about promotion, and we need them before  the next board meeting. This year we pay licensing fee and we choose the movie.

Gina will help with social media to promote. Tim will submit a newsletter article


  1. Committee Reports.

Sustainability Committee. Reuben says the committee had a vibrant couple of years, and now we are in sort of a lull. Plugged Transition Sunnyside, which also seeks to lessen our dependence on fossil fuel.

LUTC – Definitely good discussions  Right now the big issue is bars on Belmont between 33rd and 34th, 32nd, if you include the Pied Cow.

Tony is working on a letter to invite licensees to a meeting on the 13th

Tony has letter drafted and needs to distribute them to the biz. Bill will help. After that, Tony says he will get a flyer going to the adjacent neighbors. There have been meetings between city, neighbors, OLCC. Circa 33, Aalto.

  1. Crime Prevention – SEUL has a grant partnering with office of neighborhood involvement for graffiti and abatement removal. Last year they only had 10 applicants. Heather thought a mural on the side of the Stumptown Building would be a good candidate.

Karen mentioned the liquor store at the 39th Mart. The way it’s structured there is a little shed on the side of it, it’s the behind-the-store place to drink. If the cement gets removed, or if a planter box gets placed, the graffiti would go down. Was going to approach the store or neighbors.

  1. SEUL – The neighborhood small grants have been awarded. Out of 47 legitimate applicants, there were 16 projects recommended to the board for approval. Our neighborhood co-sponsored 3, the kitchen tool library, disaster dinner and the Sunnyside Park Equipment Sharing Program. That last one won.

Jeff Milkes from PP&R talked to SEUL about  funding for movies in the parks and summer lunch programs.  Many children get fed free lunch during the school year but not in the summer. Rather than figuring out which kids qualify, they serve to everyone.


We are not sure our park would qualify bc no handwashing stations.

Wickman building is up for possible community use.


Treasurers Report – Josh: Ascento is not in newsletter. Belmont Yoga will replace them.

Balance of the account is $10,500


  1. Announcements – Karen – Disaster dinner is coming up second weekend of March. If there is anyone here who is passionate, hoping it’s an annual event. Every year we get better and better at throwing a disaster. The idea is if there is a disaster, it takes a while for state and feds to survive. Can our neighborhood serve 1000 meals a year for a week.

She’s looking for people to take shifts during the event itself. Also if there’s anyone who wants to help with the planning of it.

Winter Carnival Feb. 18 at the Sunnyside Methodist church. Carnival is totally donated. $$ is able to go to the building, not the event itself.


Next month we will be viewing the submissions for the sign.


Aalto Lounge owners wanted to say they are looking forward to working responsibly with the community. They encourage neighbors to come talk to them directly.



Brief announcement from Lois Levine spearheading effort to prevent the Walgreens’ Drive Thru.

She says our only course of action is to voice safety concerns. The things that cause concern at Sunnnyside, should cause concern anywhere. Now connecting signatures nationally on this issue.


  1. Approve minutes – Heather motions to approve minutes, Bill seconds, motion carries, Reuben abstains.


Meeting adjourned 8:11


Board members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, , Tony Jordan, Josh Palmer, Heather Wilson, Paul Loney, Tim Brooks, Karen Hery, Reuben Deumling

Guests & Neighbors in Attendance: Lorraine Henriques, Greg Everhart, Jeff Cole


Reuben: Calls meeting to order at 8:08


1)      Minutes approved for December

2)      Jeff Cole gives Friends of Trees Update. At a previous meeting, he asked for, and the SNA approved $300 for six scholarship trees. He is now asking for flexibility that that money be allowed to pay for curb and concrete cuts. FOT has money for scholarship trees, but Sunnyside now has a greater need for curb cuts, mulch, etc., and he respectfully ask the money the SNA already has allocated pay for that. Each curb cut costs $50.


Cole says he intends to apply for a grant from SEUL next year to offset curb cut costs.


Paul Loney votes to move that we allocate $$ from scholarship trees to curb cuts, mulch, etc.  Karen  Hery seconds. Motion carries unanimously.


Street Tree Survey discussion– Jeff and Greg Everhart say they are looking for formal support from the board to apply for a grant to survey street trees in the entire Sunnyside Neighborhood. Tim Brooks has agreed to be the official liaison to the street tree survey team from the board. Paul motions that Tim serve in this role and the SNA submit a letter of support to be included in the grant application. Tim seconds. Motion carries.


  1. Tony discusses the Group GNA Progress for Belmont businesses.


Tony notes that the letter submitted to applicable businesses tells them we are going to do this and invites them to participate in a meeting on Jan. 13. A Group GNA already exists on Hawthorne, and Tony says they will be shown that. He also will take best practices from that for the Belmont Group GNA.


The major complaints from neighbors re: Belmont businesses have been noise, particularly back patio, but the GNA also will ensure seating doesn’t spill out into the walkway. Some bars stress they make most of their money between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m. and the GNA will address that in some fashion.


At Tony’s request, Paul says he will look and see how many agreements are in place and make copies of those we have on file.



4. Tony discusses Peacock Lane traffic:

Several board members talked about their experience and how the carfree nights were very crowded , with cars backed up to 48th and the bus taking an extremely long time to move up Belmont.


Board members say they favor more car-free nights, or one-way options, or something to mitigate the traffic.


Lorraine Inriques, member of the Peacock Lane Neighborhood Association notes we would dall like to have car free nights. This year, we had great weather, which increased participation tremendously.


The first two nights were the busiest ever for Peacock Lane. On the Belmont side, had about 150 cyclists come in. She agreed traffic was unbearable. We hate it. Not just on our street, but how much congestion it causes on Belmont and Stark.


She and her neighbors also are sensitive that many people could not come to Peacock Lane if all nights were pedestrian-only. They also have discussed one-way options.


What she hopes to propose at her association’s next meeting is to see the first week be pedestrian only, and possibly a shuttle vehicle situation the following week. But financially, that can’t happen for 2012.


She said she would report back to the board what comes of that meeting.



5. Buckman Pool Closure Support – Bill says the email circulated to the board prior to the meeting did not offer enough information to make a decision.


Karen Hery said she would back trying to stop the closure because there is no community center in SE, so there are few places where we have community center amenities.


Karen makes motion that we draft a letter saying it’s one of the few areas where SE residents are able to receive Parks and Recreation amenities, like a pool, and Josh Palmer seconds. Karen will write the letters  to all the city commissioners, Amanda within Parks and Cc everyone. Motion carries.


Action Item:


Tim moves that we support the Feb. 19 matinee with a movie selected by RNA/SNA and have a joint fundraiser at the Bagdad that day. Gina seconds. Tim accepts Bill’s friendly amendent to charge $3-5. Motion carries


New Biz – Disaster Dinner did not get grant funded and would the board be willing to put $500 in seed money toward expenditures toward disaster dinner planned for March. Organizers will charge $$ to those who come and eat at the disaster dinner.  Reuben notes this is an Item for the next board meeting.


Heather notes SEUL is transferring minutes to the Office of Neighborhood Involvement. We will be able to start the transfer Feb.-March.


Meeting adjourns 9:06





SE Community Kitchen Tool Library in the Works

Sunnyside is a neighborhood with friendly folks who feel comfortable lending a cup of sugar to their neighbors. But what if there was a place where people could borrow a food dehydrator or cider press?

Everyone deserves access to kitchen tools for food processing, preserving, and serving. With that in mind, community members are developing the Southeast Community Kitchen Tool Library, a place where anyone can borrow from an extensive collection of kitchen appliances and tools. We hope to offer pressure cookers, canners, knife sharpeners, bread machines, popcorn makers, grain mills—even place settings and ravioli crimpers! The goal is to provide a wide variety of handy items that are infrequently needed and often prohibitively expensive.

We also envision the Community Kitchen Tool Library being a place where neighborly connections can be fostered through a shared love of food. The library might even grow into a community-supported kitchen where we can share our culinary skills, nourish our bodies with healthy local food, and collaborate on difficult or intensive projects.

We are inspired by other successful lending libraries, such as the Southeast Portland Tool Library and North Portland Preserve and Serve Library, and believe that together we will make this a reality. By making expensive equipment freely available to all, and by sharing our collective skills and knowledge about food preservation and preparation, the future Southeast Community Kitchen Tool Library will make our community a more equitable and sustainable place to live.

This is a community-directed initiative and we need your input, creative energy, and kitchen items. Please contact Kim Hack for more information ( or 971-285-7372). Join us on November 7 for a planning meeting at 1221 SE 35th Avenue between Salmon and Main streets. Thank you!



March 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

SNA Board Meeting Minutes – Approved

March 10th 2011 8pm

Board members in Attendance: Gina Binole, Bill Stites, Paul Loney, Heather Wilson, Jane Pullman, Tim Brooks

Excused Absence: Reuben Deumling, Michele Gila

Unexcused Absence: Chuck Lawrence

Gina Binole as Secretary for Michele

Approve Agenda

1—Neighborhood Cleanup details – Karen Hery –  Karen really sees the Useful Goods Exchange and Spring Clean Up  as neighborhood events.  She is at tonight’s meeting  to run by the board how she is combining them. There are only two key decisions for the board:

1)Conduct one or two events, and

2)How the revenue will be divided.

Karen says Sunnyside is the only neighborhood in Tim’s (from SEUL) jurisdiction doing two neighborhood clean ups.

Tim B: How would no decision affect planning? Karen says it would limit her ability to inform neighbors at this event that there would not be a fall clean up. If we don’t say that, people will think there’s a fall one.

Paul: do we have more dumpsters in the spring? Karen says that in the fall, there were 30 families that participated.

Karen: It always rains too much in the fall.

Jane: Spring is like spring clean up.

Karen: I will only do one in the spring. I will not do one in the fall.

Jane motioned to hold only one clean up in the spring and Bill seconded. Tim said his reservation would be what if someone decided to step up and organize the fall? Motion carries.

Karen: My biggest priority this year is just to run a great event. Leave the clean up structure as it always has been.

Karen says she will be charging a fee for the useful goods exchange for the first time. $2 is being discussed. Eventually we will be out of grant funding for this fee. The event went from $1500 from the neighborhood  the first year to $200 this year.

Money from the clean up will go to the neighborhood as it always has.

Traditionally Karen has done 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 to the school, Swap Shop and SNA. She is proposing the same this year, although the school (SES) is no longer a player other than staffing parent and student volunteers. 1/3 would be held by the Swapshop as a starter fund for the next year, 1/3 goes to the Swapshop and 1/3 goes to the SNA.

Tim moves we support the funding allocation, Heather seconds. Motion approved.

2 — SNA Budget – Tim Brooks – A couple of things jumped out — $250 for the hotline. Seemed like a lot to the board.

Tim said the rest of the numbers are projecting off numbers from last year.

Jane questioned the $2,000 for the street fair. Tim said BABA traditionally never shared funds with us. $2000 in revenue from street fair is because of the new arrangement, and it’s actually conservative. Initial estimation was $3,000.

Board pondered whether  we will carry on the commercial fund raising effort John perpetuated for the Street Fair or if we would scale it back somewhat, such that it is not about raising money.

Board discussed donations, and moving the $1000 nest egg we have into other donations to make for a balanced budget and increases our ability to donate to causes the board deems worthy throughout the year.

Clean up appears in both revenue and expense categories, so it’s difficult to track. That could change, especially if they start going the direction of Richmond NA.

Could move that $1000 nest egg (not reflected in Tim’s budget) into the other donation column. Jane motions to approve the budget as amended, Heather seconds. Motion carries.

3—Do we continue to support Mt. Tabor concerts for  $250  — we could contribute whatever we want. Board agrees it’s a good thing to support. (Issue was discussed in greater detail at general meeting) They’re really well-attended. – Gina makes a motion to support, Jane seconds. Motion carries.

Due to the late hour, the board agrees to table discussion of SES rainwater cistern since no action is necessary, as well discussion of what can be voted upon /discussed via email was pushed back to next month.

4-Board agrees to sponsor or host the Multnomah County Soil & Water Conservation District workshop at SEUL on March 28. Jane has been responsible for putting together this event.

The issue was brought before the board via email. The board agreed it was a good thing to do and Tim motioned to use funds from the newly approved budget and allocate up to $40 for snacks and materials.

4-Street Fair update Tim – Street Fair update – Jane and Gina suggest more local participation at booths, Tim mentioned they’ve discussed an artist alley, where booths would sell for $20 rather than $30.

Jane volunteers to teach spinning and dying yarn with vegetables to kids.

Booths are $60, which is fine for a real commercial venture.

Tim also said he and the BABA president have discussed offering free booths for certain non-profits, scholarships, work to put up posters, etc.

There has been some discussion about extending the fair hours into the evening. Heather suggested we let neighbors know we are considering this and ask for feedback via the newsletter.

Tim is hoping to secure March 4 Marching Band.

The board also discussed not changing things up too much as we transition from John to Tim & Bill.

The board agreed to scale back the booths a bit and make room for things like the artists alley without necessarily expanding the reach for some of these things.

February Board minutes approved.


February 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

SNA BoardMeeting Minutes – Approved

Feb. 10th 2011 7pm

Board Members: Michele Gila, Chuck Lawrence, Heather Wilson, Gina Binole, Reuben Deumling, Bill Stites, Jane Pullman, Paul Loney

Excused Absence: Tim Brooks

Guests: John Barker & Kari Briggs

1. Approve agenda/Minutes. Paul moves. MG 2nd. Approved.

Jan. board meeting Minutes: Gina moves to approve. Chuck 2nd. Approved.

2. BSF – Future Focus

Bill summarizes.  Joint venture. What are the responsibilities. A reorganization. Draft of Joint Agreement submitted/ on file.

3. By laws discussion continued.

No one is prepared to really pick it up. Would like to continue the discussion. Reuben mentions co-chair desire. Reuben won’t be Chair this year. Too much work travel. Might seek the position at another date.  Jane outlines a summary of last month’s minutes on this subject.

1. Do nothing?

2. Subcomittee study?

3. X or Y in May?

4. Table to next month?

4. Future of Neighborhood Clean up, proceeds distribution.

5. SNA Proposed 2011 Budget. Tim made a budget. Reflects the recent year’s numbers. We would like to have a budget. Move to next month agenda so we have more time to review the budget.

6. Follow up to SES Park Work Group.

7. Adjourn 9:02 pm.

January 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

SNA Board Meeting – Approved

January 13, 2011, 8:00 – 9:00 PM

Board Members Present: Michele Gila, Jane Pullman, Tim Brooks, Paul Loney, Heather Wilson, Bill Stites.

Unexcused absence: Chuck Lawrence

Neighbors and Guests Present: Mary Ann Schwab, Karen Hery

1. Approve agenda/minutes (2 min) Gina moves/ Bill 2nd. Approved.

2. By Laws discussion (Paul/Michele 20 min) Overview of bylaws. 9 members. 4/5 split. MAS brought up 3/3/3 but terms are 3 years. We have no guidelines for elections that address frequency of meeting attendance. Jane voices in favor of changing bylaws regarding the 4/5 split. For the sake of continuity it would be nice to have less than half the board turn over at once. Could increase board positions to 10. Jane asks if bylaws must be 2 years? Bill says some element of qualification is good. Attendance requirement is good solution. For example 2 meetings. Also supports even # of board members. Last year’s election could have been an anomaly. Gina isn’t opposed necessarily but would like to see the meeting agenda posted well in advance. That could cause people to come and show up. Jane motions to make this Old Business for March, Heather 2nd.

3. Sunnyside position on Clearwire moratorium (Michele 8 min) Bill 2nd. Heather friendly amendment to include 29th/Yamhill location and Jane amends a to any. Approved!

SNA “opposes Clearwire’s plans for a wireless tower on SE 32nd or SE 29th near Yamhill or any Priority 4 residential street within Sunnyside, and recommends that the City of Portland Reject the company’s request for any tower and adjacent equipment cabinet.

4. Treasurer’s report (Jane 3 min) Jane handed out treasurer’s report for 2010. On file. Jane comments that the newsletter just about paid for itself. Loss of $163.71. All ad slots are full and paid in full. Could improve on the book keeping for clean ups. Great donations from SNA. BSF made $21.25 from selling buttons. Tim will take treasurer’s report and create a budget. Michele mentions putting some money into cd or interest account. Suggested $5000 go there. We will continue this discussion.

5. Other Items Useful Goods Exchange/clean up, Street Fair, Etc…

Karen Hery: opportunity to combine Useful goods & clean up. Followed Gary through fall clean-up. Participation is down. 2 cleanups a year might not make much sense. Only 30 families participated in fall clean up. Spring clean is fine with Karen but she cannot do a fall clean up. Test one per year. Can always go back to 2 if that fails. Wants a committee for the event and Gina will chair it. Basement at church building has only a few doors. Works better that way. Suggested donation of $1 for entry fee. $10 to do the clean up. What should be done with the funds? How should they be decided. School role? They used to get a donation. School involvement is only through volunteers. St. Stephens just wants to have a bake sale at the event. One Huge Event at St. Stephens. Event not until April. Paul suggests we get Reuben in on the discussion. Have it on agenda next month. Got $200 from SEUL grant to cover costs of Posters. Tim suggests leveraging grant money and get reimbursed for outreach from metro. SEUL helps with that.

6. Newsletter articles due Jan. 17th

7. Other Business.

MAS reports on OLCC staff changes per Kitzhaber. MAS doesn’t want to lose Steve Pharo from OLCC as he works to keep licenses to 1 year instead of 2. She asked him what the community could do to support him. He’d like to stay. Asks the board to write a letter of support to Commissioner Phil Lange so when he meets with Kitzhaber, we can keep Pharo.

Michele makes Motion to write letter of support to Phil Lange for the 1 year renewal, to include a “Thank You” Steve Pharo for his work. Tim 2nd. MAS will give us the contact info. Paul will write the letter.

Tim mentions that the meeting on Jan 31st for SES check in with Parks etc… didn’t make the newsletter. Get requests into our communication for comment from neighbors on how it has been going on the park agreement. Deadline for response is Jan. 30th. So we have feedback. Specific to Park. Tim & Reuben will put something together for me to post to solicit feedback.

Bill will email us about BSF. Wants to meet next week.

8. Adjourn. 9:29pm.